Skip to main content

Better The Devil


Well it's a new day and a new appreciation post. 

I can't tell you how much the one about David - the one I was reluctant to share - has affected so many people from my Facebook friends list they reached out to me about the post. 

It reached people in ways I never expected, and in ways some of the people reaching out never expected.  So once again David's actions had a profoundly positive effect. Thanks again David and thanks to all those who reached out to me about it. 

As promised though, here is something a little lighter than my previous two posts. 

This coming Saturday is Eurovision. 28 years ago it was held on the 19th of May, the day after my birthday, and it gave me one of the best presents I have ever had. 

Sonia Evans was our representative for the UK. For those of you that don't know, Sonia was signed to PWL records and was produced by Stock, Aitken and Waterman.  Just like Kylie Minogue and Rick Astley. And if you don't know who they are then I will be of no help to you. 

In all intents and purposes Sonia was a down-to-earth, bubbly and giggling girl next door. She wasn't what we referred to as larger than life and she wasn't conceited about her success either. She was just one of us. This grabbed my attention. 

I had always thought that to be in a position like that you needed to be larger than life, you needed to be this big character, super confident, maybe even arrogant but she wasn't. 

I had always dreamed of being on stage or acting in film but I was too scared and ashamed to tell anyone about that, so I kept it to myself. 

But here was Sonia, A normal everyday person doing exactly the kind of thing that I wanted to do. Sounds corny but it gave me hope. 

I followed her progression over the week leading up to the competition, thanks mostly to BBC Radio, as we didn't have social media back then. 

She inspired me so much that on the 19th May 1993, I made my decision to chase my dreams, and I have been chasing them, and catching them, ever since. 

So thank you Sonia Evans, you gave me the courage I needed to be honest and go for it. You also taught me that I didn't have to wait until I was "larger than life" or "good enough" and that I was already good enough in that moment.

Actually I wasn't totally good enough, I still had to teach myself to sing first, but you get my point. 

If you want something, go for it. Don't wait. The only right time is now. You ARE good enough already!

I'm setting the challenge for you all to lean into your vulnerability and give appreciation to someone else, if this is something you feel you cannot do but want to! And I am seeing this happen everyday now 🙂

Have a great day and I'll be back with another name soon x




Photo by Andrew Hurley 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewhurley/14521336706/in/album-72157645450365815/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wise Words

 For the last couple of days I have been showing appreciation to and recognition of people and their actions which have had a significant and specific influence on me.  If you're not sure what I'm on about please feel free to check back on my previous posts.  Yesterday I received a message from someone, very concerned that I was reaching out for help and that I was contemplating suicide. I can assure you that I'm not and that I am totally ok. In fact I'm more ok than I think I've ever been in my whole life!  This kind of thing is one of the reasons why I'm doing what I'm doing. I'm feeling great and I want to pass that feeling on to as many people as I can. That's my goal here. So today is the turn of my fourth year middle school teacher at Oak Green - Michael Wise. I warn you this might be a bit long winded lol. There were other, more popular teachers and I don't even think that I liked Mr Wise at the time if I'm honest, but he had one of th

Three Sisters

Last post was Mom's turn this one is for my sisters. So to start off I have 3 sisters, well technically 4 and 2 of them are called Tracey. Confused? Yep so was I, but I only know 3 so this is for them. I realised from the last post that whilst I pinpoint one or two things that I have learned from people, it's never an exhaustive list. And the list here is not exhaustive either.  I am the youngest! The only boy! I have been teased, scared half to death and left in a laundry basket so that they can go out with their friends, but I have also had hugs, and kisses and felt pride from them 🤮 The eldest is Debra Churchill  My "little" big sister.  What I have learned the most from Debbie is that it is much cooler to be yourself than to try to be someone who you are not and it's perfectly okay to love you are! She's also taught me how to embarrass others - in a fun way - which of course I have used on my kids. Debbie if you're not sure what I'm talking about,

My "Microcare" Family

  Not all of these posts will follow a chronological order, so you'll never know when your name is going to be called. The following actions weren't big actions but they had lasting effects. When I was 17 I moved to Wales. A small village in the then Borough of Newport called Rhiwderin. Which means blackbird on the hill. That has no relevance to this story but I thought you might appreciate a little bit of history. I dropped out of school at 15 without finishing my GCSEs and I'd had a couple of jobs since leaving school but I didn't really have any prospects for the future. I signed up for a Youth Training Scheme and got an interview at a local computer store called Microcare Computing. Fans of Goldie Looking Chain may know of this place ;-) The interview was held in the basement office and I had one of those out of body moments like I did in Miss Amos's music class.  I am convinced that these moments are signs of something that is meant to be! I was nervous but was